Interior designers based near our luxury malls share the home decor items they can’t wait to pick up.
By: Tracy Donohue
Here we are — it’s that festive time of year again! The holidays are upon us, and it’s time for decorating, entertaining, gathering, and of course, creating wish lists full of lust-worthy items to give and receive.
Due to the hustle and bustle of this most merry of seasons, we often run out of time and ideas to come up with truly special, covetable items that can continue to be enjoyed and cherished once the holidays have passed and decorations are stored away.
Fortunately, we have asked a select group of talented local interior designers to share the distinctive home decor items they are lusting for this season to help elevate wintertime living spaces with a touch of inspiration and excitement. From cozy throws to shimmery tableware, these exceptional pieces are sure to help with memorable gift-giving or simply add a special touch of warmth, dazzle, and style to your home into the new year and beyond.
Jane Synnestvedt, Jane Synnestvedt Interior Design, Birmingham, Michigan
- Art can take many forms. What could be more beautiful than to frame a Hermès scarf to hang in a powder room or over a fireplace? Details make all the difference! La Danse Des Amazones Shawl, $1,100, Hermès.
- Everyone always needs extra seating, especially during the holidays. A unique approach to social gatherings where casual elegance is key, these folding chairs are so fun you may want to also purpose them to flank a chest in a bedroom or tuck them into a study area or desk. They’re much too unique to always be tucked away in a closet! These are available in many patterns so you can express your individuality. Jimena Terai Folding Chair, $228, Anthropologie.
- Extra storage is always in demand. This simple and elegant piece with its nickel finish and clean lines can be paired to flank doorways and used in bathrooms and for display. Endless possibilities and classic in design. Truly a piece that can transcend the test of time. Port 68 Doheny Nickel Etagere, $2,250, Neiman Marcus.
Meredith Stephens, Meredith Margaret Designs, Orlando, Florida
- Freshen up your room and create instant holiday coziness with a versatile faux-fur throw — they aren’t just for the bed! Try draping a small throw on the arm of your sofa for instant plushness. Use a large throw around the base of your Christmas tree instead of a traditional skirt. The long-pile material on this Pottery Barn version comes in gray or ivory and will add depth, luxury, and softness to your space. Mongolian Faux Fur Hide, $69, Pottery Barn.
Ashley MacBride Johnson, The Shabby “C” Star, St. Johns, Florida
- These vintage-inspired mirrors offer old-world glam to any space. The curved shape and antique brass finish bring warmth and class to the room. A wow statement that leaves an impression. Gleaming Primrose Mirror, $548-$1,598, Anthropologie.
Hannah Pickett, Bold Construction, Ypsilanti, Michigan
- When setting your holiday table, it’s important to avoid overcrowding the table by using only special stemware, flatware, and plates that are vital to the meal. I just love this gold flatware set — it adds a warm glow and shine that is perfect for any occasion. As a bonus, limiting the tableware also means less cleanup. Hampton Forge 20-Piece Epigram Gold Flatware Set, $250, Neiman Marcus.
- Enhance your holiday entertaining experience by serving with intention and style. To create a more unique and interesting tablescape, try incorporating mixed materials like smoke glassware, matte flatware, and woven linens. This elegant set of flutes is a more modern approach than traditional crystal flutes and helps create a memorable presentation. Cheers! IVV Unforgettable Flutes, Set of 6, $210, Neiman Marcus.
Anna Versaci, Anna Versaci Design, Beverly Hills, Michigan
- This Gucci wool throw is totally on my wish list. This would look great draped across a sofa or a bed and is the perfect throw to cozy up with with a cup of hot chocolate by the fire. Every room, even the most simplistic, could use a splash of something unexpectedly luxurious. G Check Wool Throw Blanket, $1,400, Gucci.
- This bleached wood antler bowl is just the perfect touch of rustic. Leave this out on a coffee table to hold holiday cards or as a centerpiece on the dining table simply as a beautiful piece of artwork. Bleached Wood Antler Bowl, $138, Anthropologie.